Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: December 26, 1914 and December 26, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, December 26, 1914

Did not do much work today. Went to bed early tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, December 26, 2021

Puttered and napped today. Enjoyed Winterlights at Art Museum this evening. 


One of the big mysteries for me in transcribing Grandma Nora's journal this year is trying to figure out what her work schedule was. I realized that the work week in 1914 was very different than now. Henry Ford wouldn't send shock waves through the manufacturing industry with his 40 hour work week commitment until 1926, although in 1914 he instituted the eight hour work day. 

Although Nora worked in a office, she was part of the construction world, which at that time worked from dawn to dusk, seven days a week. Remember those times that she was paying the workers on Saturdays? That said, I don't know whether she was speaking of work at the office or work at home - and we know that she wasn't afraid to take her fancy work into the office. 

This article (click here) is chockful of information about what working life and cost of living expenses were like for this era. 

I was having a bit of a gloomy day - post holiday blues I think - and puttered around the house organizing things like the silverware drawer in the kitchen and my silver chest, in both cases I dumped everything on the floor and started over.

I was so glad that I'd had the thought to purchase a Winterlights ticket for myself for this evening. I loved walking through the grounds of Newfields and Lilly Mansion. The mansion was decorated beautifully, although the kitchen is my favorite thing to marvel over. 

Walking through the beautiful grounds gave me a chance to reset my feelings and be ready to launch into the last week of this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment