Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 15, 1914 and August 15, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, August 15, 1914
Anna was not working today. Went out to Burnettsville again today. They are just about through on the road. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, August 15, 2021
Fun day at the Indiana State Fair, I went twice! First with silent auction winners and back with Schaun. 

 Ah ha! When Grandma Nora mentioned the first time that she was paying the "men off on the road," I thought she meant that she was paying the men working away from home. Nope! They are actually working ON the road. 


This must have been the project - this was in the July 23, 1914 paper so the timing is perfect. I'm feeling pretty smug about figuring that out. 

It was another fun day at the Indiana State Fair. Last year a Day at the State Fair with Nora was offered as an item at a silent auction benefiting the Propylaeum. And people bid on it. I was seriously prepared to bid under a fake name. 

I was a little nervous - could I live up to the hype? Would I bore people with my seemingly endless stream of Fair facts? 

It went well, although I had to check myself a few times when I was blabbering about the WPA buildings on the Fairgrounds. I had a great time, I hope my guests did too. 

I was still wound up when I got home so I called Schaun to see if he wanted to go to the Fair. We got there just as the parade started - you may have gathered by now that I'm obsessed with the vintage tractors. 

When the parade was over, I literally ran into my (maternal) Aunt Ann and her daughter and granddaughter visiting from Chicago. 

I was thrilled! I hadn't seen Cousin Jessica in two years. and Cora is so grown up. 

Bonus! Cousin Sarah and her daughters and husband were there too. I got to show them The Lamp and my other entries. I can't tell you how happy I was that we connected! 

No comments:

Post a Comment