Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 14, 1914 and August 14, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, August 14, 1914

Mamie & Ursie had a shower tonight for Mabel. We played rum and had a dandy time. Mabel got some very pretty things. Anna Eckerle won the prize. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, August 14, 2021

Another fun day at the Indiana State Fair - I got to ride in my beloved parade of vintage tractors! Raced home in time to work at Red Key. 

I love it when Grandma Nora adds some good clues to her daily notes. I've learned that the society blurbs always mention who won the prize. Bonus points to Nora for writing Anna's last name! 

And now we know that Mabel is a Minneman. I got excited thinking that Anna Eckerle was the Anna of "Anna and Chris." but I couldn't connect the dots. 

I made a solo trip to the Indiana State Fair and had a wonderful time. Of course I visited the Home and Family Arts Building and The Lamp. I walked through the Department of Natural Resources Building to see the native fish - they just arrived. I ran into friends, looked at all of the tractors in the machinery yard and walked into the Pioneer Village Barn just in time to be invited to ride in the parade! It's earlier on Saturdays, since the Fairgrounds is so crowded in the evening. 

I met Karen and Ron at the last State Fair and they were kind enough to give Dad and me a ride in their cart, pulled behind the miniature tractor that Ron made. What a great gift that was!  

And I have a confession....most State Fair days I carry an apron in by bag just in case I'm invited to be in the parade. And I was! This time I rode with their grandson. 

I giggled the whole way! Thanks, Ron and Karen! 

After the parade I rode on Ron and Karen's golf cart to the sheep barn - also a thrill! I wanted to catch up with Cousin (once-removed) Leslie and her son Ari. 

Nora's Great-great grandson, Ari. Great-granddaughter Leslie, and Granddaughter Nora. 

After that, I high-tailed it home to change for my Red Key shift. We were nice and busy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment