Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 30, 1914 and July 30, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, July 30, 1914

Was very nice out today. Went up town this afternoon and met Marie Porter. 

Nora Spitznogle, Friday, July 30, 2021

Indiana State Fair early - blue ribbon ugly lamp! Worked downtown, worked at the Red Key. 

I'm glad that Grandma Nora and Marie got to see each other again. I wonder what they talked about? Was ice cream involved this time also? 

Today is opening day of the Indiana State Fair - and you'll be thrilled to know that I'm once again the blue ribbon winner in the Ugly Lamp contest. Yep, I've got the ugliest lamp on the state.

Yes, it's a thing - Ugly Lamp is a category in the antiques division, although it doesn't have to be an antique. I've also gotten first place in 2017 and 2019 and have gotten some sort of ribbon over the last fifteen years or so. It's silly and fun and requires no talent beyond thrifting and a good eye for bad lamps..
I also entered other actual antiques. I entered Dad's 1956 4-H State Fair badge and it earned second place in it's category. The Coco Marsh PEZ dispenser received second place in the Baby Boomer toys division. 

In the culinary division, my English Toffee was awarded the third-place ribbon. None of my other baking entries earned anything. I won Best of Show in 2019 with my elderflower/lemon cake. My balsamic roasted strawberry cake did not do very well. In fact, it's placed at the very end of the shelf looking like it's trying to hide. 

I had the Dairy Bar's shake of the year - Salted Caramel for breakfast and an ear of Wilson's Corn for the walk to the car. 

I raced to work at Second Helpings and from there raced to work at the Red Key - I need tomorrow off for a work event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment