Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 29, 1914 and July 29, 2021

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, July 29, 1914

Mary was over for dinner today and all of the girls went up to the park for supper, but me. Had to go down to the office. Came home in Gingrich's auto. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, July 29, 2021

Worked in office this morning, attended State Fair Media Day for lunch, worked remotely afternoon, DDS, back to office, met Pioneer Village guys for drink at Red Key, back downtown for  concert. 

It sounds like Grandma Nora was feeling a little Cinderella-like, having to go to work while her friend and sisters picnicked at the park. She did get a ride home in an automobile - that must have been exciting! 

My day was crazy-busy and it reminded me of how I used to roll - always on the move and heading somewhere else. 

I worked in the office this morning and popped in to the second half of Media Day for the State Fair. 

There were samples of the some of the signature Fair foods. I had a Philly cheesesteak fries (Miss Piggy's), a Bavarian cream puff (The German Corner), ice coffee (Hooks Drug Store Museum), and a Fruity Pebbles Funnel Cake (Monroe Concessions). I can't imagine how many calories I would have consumed if I'd been there for the whole time.

The event was in the Harvest Pavilion (Purdue Building to you old-timers), home of the City of Bricks - I can't believe the amazing things that can be made of Lego bricks!

We were offered rides on the two new attractions - the double-decker merry go round (next to the Grandstand) and the giant Ferris Wheel (next to the Farm Bureau Building)  I thought that I may be brave enough to go to the second story of the carousel, but no way would I go on the Ferris Wheel - as I mentioned the other day. 

I have an inexplicable fear of heights. Over the years I've had to be carried from haymows, grain bins, and anything higher than a step stool. I've frozen while touring castles, and climbing stairs in Europe, and can't make it through the roof hatch at work. No way was I going to ride the 150 feet tall largest Ferris Wheel in Indiana. Have I mentioned "no way" enough times? 

View with my feet safely on the ground. 

I did it!
Here I am, tight shouldered and hanging on to anything I can. 

Being silly. 

Thanks to Tori, managing editor of Indy With Kids for riding with me. I figured that if she was a Mom, she could handle me.

Nora and Tori
The ride was delightful and I'm so glad that I did it. I think being enclosed really helped. The view is incredible - next time I'll look for my house. 

I headed home to work until it was time to go to the dentist in Carmel - only 12 miles, but it took 40 minutes to get there. And I have a cavity. Boo. 

I had a meeting back downtown at work - it took me 90 minutes to get there from the dentist - uggh. 

I was going to work late and go straight to a concert - Band of Horses - just a few blocks away, when I got a text that my favorite Pioneer Village guys were at the Red Key. I've been writing about them for almost twenty years and Dad had gotten to know them also. I look forward to our reunions each year. 

It was great to see them before the Fair started - we chatted about Dad and catch up on the last two years - there was no Fair in 2020. 

I'll share stories about them in the next few days. 

After that I ran home to change and back downtown for the last 45 minutes of the concert. 

What a fun busy happy day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment