Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 31, 1914 and July 31, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, July 31, 1914

Was down to Uncle John's this evening. Just had my ? washed and it looked swell. Florence Z?  and Joe Rech were there.  

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, July 31, 2021

Home from working at Key at 2:00, helped friend at 8:00, Fair at noon, and work with Second Helping students at Rev at 4:00. 

Oh, Grandma Nora - what are those words I can't read. Did you wash your hair? Uncle John, would be her dad's brother, John Jacob Bauer (1857 - 1938). She's mentioned a Florence before, I wonder if it's the same one and this is the first sighting of Joe Rech. 

I tried searching the old newspapers for various combinations of Joe Rech, Florence, Nora and didn't come up with anything in common. Maybe something will bubble up later. 

What a crazy day this was for me. I got home from the Red Key around 2:00 and was showered and in bed by 2:30. I begrudgingly got up at 7:00 to help a friend's husband move his studio to storage. I was thrilled to help, but I was dragging. 

I can't remember if I mentioned that I was attending the Indiana State Fair each day and writing about if for NUVO. I really enjoy it, but there are days like this that I need to squeeze in a visit. 

I took a quick loop around the Fairgrounds and was lucky enough to see the Budweiser Clydesdales being hitched for the Daily Parade. I was happy to watch the parade of vintage tractors and such before I grabbed a ribeye sandwich and listen to music in Pioneer Village.

I stopped to visit the Ugly Lamp on the way out - I don't want to get on her bad side. 

Our Culinary Job Training students participate in REV a fundraiser for Methodist Hospital held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  I help with them and I'm the liaison with the Board of Health. 

And I was able to invite two friends, Novella and Kassie. It's a fun event and a great venue. There is a light show projected on the Pagoda, the deejay is in the flagger perch above the track, and dancing is on the yard of bricks.  

I love being at the Speedway and having reasons to be in the behind the scenes places. Our home base for the evening is the Media Center. It's a long night - I arrived at 4:00 and left around midnight. I walk around with the Board of Health as they check the restaurants for food safety - all was well. The rest of the time I'm helping to wrangle students. 


I met Novella for a drink at the Red Key afterwards, then went home to write my Fair wrap up. My Apple watch tells me that I was awake for 20 hours and clocked 10.1 miles walking. My feet are feeling it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment