Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: December 25, 1914 and December 25, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, December 25, 1914

Went to six o'clock Mass. Paul and his mother were there when I came. Was down to Mrs. Eckerle's. Went to 10:00 o'clock Mass and to the Colonial this afternoon. Paul and his mother left at 7:00. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, December 25, 2021

Woke up early and decided to go to St. Joseph's for 8:00 Mass. I sat in Dad's usual pew. Stopped at Beth's house. Brownburg for dinner with the Michell's and neighbors. Took food and gifts to Mom. 

I've re-read Grandma Nora's accounting of Christmas Day several times, and I'll admit to being confused....was she with Paul and his mama the whole time? Did they all go to Eckerle's and the theater? Did they have dinner with Nora's family? 

I was able to figure out what was on stage at the Colonial. I would love to see folks dance and yodel wearing snow shoes! 

You can see a bit of the front altar that Dad help to make. 

I woke up early and decided to go to 8:00 AM Christmas Mass at St. Joseph's - our family parish. I slipped into Dad's usual pew and it was fun to sit with the "nice widow women" - Dad's words -  that he always sat with. They didn't even have to turn the pages in the hymnal for me! 


I also chatted with Kay Bauer, I know that she's related, I just need to sort it out. I doesn't help that met her during the pandemic and with masks and distancing, it's hard to get to the whole story. I'm adding Kay to the list of people that I need to quiz about the Bauer family. 

Dad especially enjoyed the crèche in front of the church. The wood came from his dear friend Sam Herr's barn (Sam was Ann Mitchell's papa).  When Mr. Herr died, Dad was devastated - and so was I. You can read more abut Mr. Herr here: https://nora-leona.blogspot.com/2008/04/mr-herr.html

I stopped at sister Beth's. She was getting ready to entertain her husband, Troy's family. It was fun to chat and help set up a giant blow up Christmas decoration in the back yard. 

I headed back to Ann Mitchell's for a delightful and delicious dinner with her and Jerry and their next door neighbors, Karen and Craig - they're always a hoot! 

Ann fixed plates for food for me to drop off at Mom's - she's feeling a little better and loved the blouse I gave her for Christmas and was grateful for the food. 

I was wiped out when I got home. I happily went to bed early (for me, anyway). 

No comments:

Post a Comment