Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: December 24, 1914 and December 24, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, December 24, 1914

Got my present from Paul and his brother this afternoon. Went to confession tonight and then went up town with Mary. Got to bed about 11:00 PM. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, December 24, 2021

Puttered around this morning. EME at 4:00 Mass, stopped at the Red Key for gift exchange and cheer. J.R. and Anna's for a beautiful dinner, Mitchell's for overnight. 

Oh, How I wish I knew what Paul and his brother gave Grandma Nora? Which brother of Paul's? George or Conrad? So many questions! 

And which Mary did she go uptown with? Brill, Spitznogle, or Minneman

My day was a combination of lounging in my pajamas and running around like an elf on Christmas Eve. I spent the morning puttering around and gathering gifts for my various stops. I left cards and cookies for some of my neighbors - I don't know why I get such a thrill delivering things to porches in my pajamas. 


I went to the Children's Mass at St. Joan of Arc, the Mass is well attended and they needed more Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers than usual. The church was so crowded that I wound up standing in the back - which I don't mind at all. It was fun to see the kiddos all dressed up and squirmy. 

I stopped at home to grab the gifts, my overnight bag, and the salad I made for dinner and headed to the Red Key. Christmas Eve at the tavern is as much a tradition for me as anything else. The Settle sisters sing, those of use who work there retrieve our stockings and Secret Santa goodies, and have a little nip of cheer. 

I did a terrible job of taking pictures at J.R. and Anna's, which is a shame! The table was beautiful, the food yummy (my kale, pomegranate seeds, and feta salad pictured above), and the company great - J.R. and Anna, Molly and John, Beth and Troy, and myself. Poor Mama wasn't feeling good and opted out. Of course we were also missing Dad and his jovial self. 
Molly and John passing out the gifts that Ann and Tim sent from Phoenix. 

Molly is way taller than Aunt Nora. I'm holding a picture of me holding Molly when she was just six months old. 

Dad and I had started a Christmas Eve tradition a few years ago. He would go to the Children's Mass with J.R. and family, we would gather for dinner, Dad would go with me to Midnight Mass at St. Joan of Arc, I would spend the night at the Farm with Dad, and we would attend Christmas morning Mass at St. Joseph's in Lebanon (Dad's parish). 
My best friend since we were six, Ann, invited me to spend the night at her house, knowing that I'd be missing staying with Dad.  She even had a stocking for me (you can see it between our heads) and gifts - see hat below. 

Ann and her hubby Jerry waited up for me to get there. I'm really glad that I took them up on their offer. Their house was the first place that I stopped on the way home from the hospital after Dad died - it's such a comfort to be with Ann....


No comments:

Post a Comment