Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 20, 1914 and August 20, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, August 20, 1914

Gertrude, Clara and I went to singing class tonight. When we got home Aunt Clara and John were here. Aunt Clara told everyone's fortune but mine. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, August 20, 2021

What a fun day! Second Helpings followed by Sausagefest - Catholic festivals are the best! - and Beach Boys at the State Fair with Kassie. Both events were crowded. 


Grandma Nora must have been hurt that her Aunt Clara didn't tell her fortune also. I would if Aunt Clara would have guess that her niece would have ten children and gobs of grandchildren, and down the line? 

Gertrude is her younger sister and I think that is Clara is Clara Brill. Her Aunt Clara is her dad's youngest sister. Aunt Clara's son was named Paul, so I think that the John she's referring to is her Uncle John. 

I had a fun and busy day. Interviewed potential students for our Culinary Job Training, along with the usual work day stuff. 

One of my favorite neighborhood festivals is St. Thomas Aquinas SausageFest. Like the heyday of Catholic Churches in Grandma Nora's time, I live within walking distance to three. SausageFest is always a blast - sausage, beer, music, and neighbors - how can you beat that? And unlike my parish festival, I can just enjoy - I'm not in charge of anything. 

While the church is in walking distance it is almost two miles away, so we Ubered to the festival. 
I was thrilled to find Cousin Sarah in one of the sausage booths - it was a sausage made  by Kincaid's especially for the event and quite delicious. 

Here I am in my skirt made from previous years SausageFest tee shirts and Kassie is clearly loving the event. I didn't have a beer, but grabbed the new tee shirt and mug and donated some money before we left. Even though we're outdoors, it's weird to be around so many people. 

We Ubered back to my house and drove to the Fairgrounds to see the Beach Boys...or what's left of them. John Stamos was sitting in - he sure has aged gracefully. 

The crowd for the concert was huge! We tucked in bar area so we weren't standing too close to anyone. We got stuck in a jam leaving the infield, but had time to solve all of the world's problems.  

Such a lovely day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment