Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 19, 1914 and August 19, 2021

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, August 19, 1914

Intended to go over to Cora's tonight but we had a very bad storm and lots of rain so we had to stay home. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, August 19, 2021

Busy work day; meetings and interviewing potential culinary job training students. Headed straight to the Indiana State Fair, visited The Lamp and walked around. 

I wonder if the Cora that Grandma Nora is talking about is this Cora? I spent some time rearching to see if it could have been my maternal Great-great-grandma Cora McManus Gremelspacher, but she was fourteen years older than Nora, so not likely, but that sure would have been fun! 

Busy day at work, followed by a solo trip to the Fair. My intention was to photograph the rodeo, but it was raining when I entered the Fairgrounds - in fact the gates were "closed," although there is no way to actually close the entrances without locking people in, so I walked right in. 

The rodeo was on hold until the threat of lightning passed. I visited the Home and Family Arts Building and The Lamp and took advantage of some $3 Thursday treats.  

The Amish pretzels are soooo good and worth waiting in the line. 

I stopped in the Glass Barn, where you can exchange your filled out quiz card about soybeans for a hat. Dad always made sure to stop and get a hat for his fellow volunteer, Lew. 

I wanted it keep the tradition alive, although I was feeling a little sad about it also. I was perfect to see our Boone County neighbor, Don Lamb, and his daughter volunteering at the desk. We had a nice chat about Dad - it was just what I needed. 

The all-clear announcement came over the loudspeakers and as I headed towards the infield for the rodeo I got the worst calf cramp. It was so bad that I cried - how crazy is that? It may have been from wearing my rain boots so much - I've never had that happen before. 

The tractor shuttle wasn't running because of the $3 Thursday crowd so I limped and cried by way to the car. There is always next year for the rodeo....

No comments:

Post a Comment