Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 6, 1914 and August 6, 2021


Nora Bauer: Thursday, August 6, 1914

Was to singing class tonight. Talked to sisters afterward. Sr. Blasia & Sr. Serga were cleaning ?. Anna & Clara Brill had been here. Clara is going to stay at our house. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, August 6, 2021

Worked at Second Helpings today. Culinary Job Training Class #139 graduated - always an exciting and emotional day. It was a beautiful night at the State Fair - friends, slushies, and tractors. 

I can't decipher what Grandma Nora was saying the Sisters were cleaning...let me know if you can figure it out. 

It took me awhile to place Anna and Clara Brill in Nora's life. Anna and Clara are from Shelbyville, IN and are the nieces of Nora's Aunt Lena (by marriage)...newspaper articles mentioned that Anna and Clara Brill were the guest of John and Lena Bauer. The problem is that I can't place and age appropriate John Bauer with a Lena. The John Bauer that also lived in Shelbyville was was married to a Mary, although she died in 1912 - maybe John remarried Lena? I have so much research to do. 
It's always a great day at Second Helpings when a  Culinary Job Training class graduates! 

It was another fun evening at the Indiana State Fair.
I met up with Tammy and our friend/neighbor Laura. A new attraction at the State Fair is the Backyard BBQ, a spot with flatbed trailer music, hay bales, and seats right next to my beloved Pioneer Village and the vintage tractors.  And they sell those delicious peach bourbon slushies. 

I enjoyed another excellent parade chockfull of antique tractors. 

Brother J.R. called - he was at the Red Key.  Tammy and I met up with him and some friends that had golfed together this afternoon. 

It was a lovely summer Friday in Indianapolis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment