Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 21, 1914 and August 21, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, August 21, 1914

Clara went home this afternoon. Aunt Minnie and Uncle John went back with her. Anna went out riding with Carl this evening. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, August 21, 2021

Indiana State Fair - today was the Pioneer Village Farm Auction. Bought
1920's Purdue suitcase and wildly impractical ironing contraption. Worked at Key. 

I'm not sure where Grandma Nora's Aunt Minnie (Philomena) and her husband John were living at the time. Aunt Minnie lived several places, including southern Indiana where we was born, Logansport, Denver, and Iowa. She and her husband are buried in the Bauer cemetery, in  Marion County, Iowa. Another place to visit! 

It's fun that Nora noted that her sister, Anna, when out with Carl this evening. Anna and Carl Gingrich would marry 6.5 years later, on May 19, 1921. I would be born 40 years after that on May 19, 1961. 


I had another fun day - I love the Farm Auction in the Pioneer Village. All of the money goes to Purdue Ag Alumni to help fund Pioneer Village. 
I purchased a beautiful suitcase owned by Helen Edmonson from Clayton, Indiana (Hendrick's County) - she attended Purdue in the mid-1920s. Another person to research! 
I also purchased this crazy ironing cabinet. I opened the bidding assuming I'd get outbid....ha! 

I made it all the way around the Fairgrounds. I had an unsettling conversation on the Tractor Tram. I woman was chiding me for wearing a mask (we're all sitting shoulder-to-shoulder) and told me that God is disappointed with me. I started with a flip reply, that wearing a mask can't hurt...and it went downhill from here. She told me that God will cure everyone on his own time. I replied that I think that God has given us the tools and we need to use them. She then told me that I wasn't a good person. I hopped off the Tram at the next stop and had a good cry in the cow barn bathroom. Uggh. 

I worked at the Red Key tonight. Nice and busy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment