Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: August 22, 1914 and August 22, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, August 22, 1914
Worked pretty hard today getting out some blueprints. Uncle Mike & Leo came this afternoon. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, August 22, 2021
Last day of the Indiana State Fair, so I went twice. Bittersweet - I'll miss it. 

I wonder what the blueprints were for? As you may remember, Grandma Nora was working for Barnes Construction. Her Uncle Mike is her mama's brother Michael Rosfeld (or Rossfeld or Rosveld, as I've found it spelled), 53. Leo is her 14 year old cousin and they were visiting from Oldenburg, in the southern part of Indiana. I found this delightful piece in the Oldenburg paper when looking for Leo's birth announcement. 
From what I can gather, Mike was very involved in politics and served on the City Council for more than 15 years. 

I'm not sure that I ever mentioned it, but I write about my daily State Fair visits for NUVO newsweekly, so I've also had a writing deadline after each Fair visit. I'll miss the Fair and the people, but not the deadline. 

I made two visits to today. The first with Schaun, who helped me pick up my ironing cabinet - I wonder how long that will stay on my front porch? 

Nora Spitznogle and Dick Reel 
We spent time in Pioneer Village, listening to music, watching a hawk demonstration, the parade, and saying goodbye to my Fair friends. 
Hawk! 
One more photo of the 1914 International Harvester Truck.
I'd been avoiding visiting the 4-H buildings, Dad and I used to spend hours looking at every single project, paying special attention to the Boone and Cass County projects and being delighted when we recognized a last name. I was so disappointed to learn that the building was closing early - I had 20 minutes to race around and try to see everything. I wound up crying out of frustration instead of sadness. I guess I was bound to cry either way....

Schaun dropped me and the ironing cabinet off at my house and I went back to the Fair to take one more lap around the grounds and ride the Tractor Tram for one last time this year. 

For years, my friend Jamie and I have had a last blast tradition of spending the last evening of the Fair together. We used to chase her daughter around the Midway, now S. is too cool for the Midway, but kind enough to indulge us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment