Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 14, 1915 and January 14, 2023

Nora Bauer: Thursday, January 14, 1915

Was a swell day today. Worked real hard. Just got home from the gigglers dance it is around 1:30 AM, But had such a good time. We had just a nice crowd. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, January 14, 2023

Made a batch of Aunt Carol's dip. Worked at Marigold, then drove to Logansport for Aunt Carol's funeral home calling and saw lots of cousins. Went to Mass at All Saints Church. 


What a fun day for Grandma Nora! Her club, the Gigglers, hosted a dance. 


From the newspaper report, the dance was quite a success! I wonder what antiqued old-fashioned costumes looked like in 1915? 100 couples equals 200 people - that's a bunch of people! I assume that Paul attended and I hope that Nora had lots of dance partners. 


I made a batch of Aunt Carol's dip this morning. My cousin Kelly brought it to us the day after Dad died - it was the perfect thing to much on while we were telling stories. 

I worked at Marigold today and drove to Logansport for Aunt Carol's calling at Kroeger Funeral Home. It was so nice to see so many people honoring her. 

I learned that there was 4:30 Mass at All Saints, formerly St. Joseph's, where Grandma Nora graduated from 8th grade and and attended Mass. In fact, her grandfather came to Logansport to make the bricks that built the church. 

The church spire looked much closer from the top of the hill, so I decided to walk from the funeral home. The church was six blocks away, not a bad downhill walk. 

Mass was beautiful and I loved sitting in the space that Grandma Nora spent so much time in. I chatted with the priest, Father Mauman, after Mass and shared with him all of the activities that Grandma Nora participated in at the parish. 

I caught a ride with my brother J.R. after Mass back to the funeral home. Mom and Beth and more cousins were there and it was fun to catch up with everyone and I stayed until the service was over. 

I met up with J.R. back in Indy at the Legion to hear a friend's band play. Kassie and Tracy joined us. I stopped at the Red Key on the way home to help close down and lock up, since I'd gotten my shift covered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment