Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 13, 1915 and January 13, 2023

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, January 13, 1915

Was real nice out today. Tallied lumber today. John was over tonight and they played cards finished my dresser scarf tonight. Rich called Mamie up. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, January 13, 2023

Windy and wet weather today. Worked at Second Helpings today - the usual mix of meetings and planning for meetings. Worked in the basement this evening. 

Was it her Uncle John that was visiting? And how I would love to see that dresser scarf! I'm guessing that Grandma Nora was doing a lumber inventory for Barnes Construction, the company she worked for. 

The most exciting sentence in today's update is "Rich called Mamie up." 

Did Great-Aunt Mamie have a suitor? I hope so! Mamie never married and was a doting aunt and great-aunt - for years she'd have a gift for each of her great-nieces and nephews, I wish I could remember the specifics of those gifts. It's the thought that counts, right? 

Mamie was a bookkeeper at Seybold's Department Store for years and lived to be 94 years old. She never married, so the thought of her having a beau is fun...and makes this never-married 61 year old feel a little better. 

This evening's basement project was organizing all of my shoes, boots, purses, and socks. Now that they're all in one place, I realize what a ridiculous amount of footwear that I own. 

The bookcase on the left was in closet that I just cleaned out.  - it was a Christmas gift in 1974 (I was 13 1/2) and I loved/love it! 

Here is a photo of me with ALL of my gifts that year. Check out that groovy sweater and pants and my hot rollers! 


I still have several of the things displayed in the bookcase. The grey vase was from my dear Aunt Rita (Mom's youngest sister, who died in 1990 at only 41 years old). I'm pretty sure that Ann Herr Mitchell gave me the yellow Nancy Drew book on the top shelf.  

The collection of Trixie Beldon books are in my current bookcase - can you tell that I'm a sentimental fool? Whenever I would have any spending money, I would buy the latest in the series at the Danner store in town.  

No comments:

Post a Comment