Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 12, 1915 and January 12, 2023

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, January 12, 1915

I suppose Paul butchered today at least he told me he was going to. Intended going to a card game but came home with a headache and went to bed. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, January 12, 2023

Worked at Second Helpings today - lots of meetings. I am excited about being on the 2024 NBA All Stars committee. We had a meeting today at Gainbridge Fieldhouse this afternoon. 


Was Paul butchering cows, pigs, or even chickens? Although butchering chickens might not be worth a mention. I'm realizing that Grandma Nora hasn't mentioned Paul's farming career at all. She wrote about visiting his house and that he painted his rig once, but that's as close as she's come to talking about it. 

Confession time: I loved butchering days when I was a kid! 

We would raise about six cows every year and butcher and quarter them. I didn't like to be around during the killing part, but I'd run out to the barn when that part was finished. I took great pride in helping remove the hide, without nicking it. 

Dad would hang the quarters in our old milk house to age before it would be delivered to the butcher to be cut to the specifications of whoever had purchased it. 

This is one of my favorite childhood photos. I'm in front, beaming with pride, J.R. is next to me, then Beth and Dad. I'm not sure of the year, but I'm guessing early 70s. 

There was a kick-off meeting for the host committee for the 2024 NBA All Star host committee this afternoon at Gainbridge Fieldhouse, where the Indiana Pacers play. I'm in the back row on the left, in the shadows. 

Indianapolis was set to host the game in 2021, but it got postponed due to the pandemic. 

I'm excited to be part of the sustainability committee, working on minimizing the ecological impact of the game - food rescue, recycling, repurposing, composting, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment