Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 11, 1915 and January 11, 2023

Nora Bauer: Monday, January 11, 1915

Was rather damp out today and tried to rain. Was real busy all day today. Helen M. called up this evening. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Aunt Carol died today. I worked at Second Helpings today - lots of meetings. Met Cara for dinner and a concert. 


I assume that when Grandma Nora says she was busy all day, it was at work. I'm pretty sure that Helen M. is Helen Minneman

My beautiful Aunt Carol died suddenly this week. I was 5 1/2 when she and married Mom's brother, Uncle Phil, and I was smitten from the first time I met her.
Aunt Carol was 60s mod - makeup, groovy clothes, and she LOVED Elvis.
She and Uncle Phil lived across the field from from our beloved Grandma and Grandpa Gremelspacher and when we were visiting them we could walk over - as country kids living on a busy highway, walking somewhere seemed exotic- and visit with Carol.
My sister and I loved doing anything with Carol - we’d actually vie to do her dishes! I probably wore her out with all of my chattering and questions!
If she didn’t happen to be home we’d have fun weaving her garden hose around the yard and turning the door mat and such upside down. When I saw her a few weeks ago, she called the pranks our “calling card” and told me how much she enjoyed our visits.
The last few years she and her husband, Dale, volunteered at the Dairy Bar at the Fairgrounds with their church group. You can imagine what a thrill that was for me!
I can’t remember a time when she wasn’t smiling and I always felt completely loved when I was around her - I hope that she felt just as loved around me.
She is missed already and my heart aches for her children - my dear cousins.

Brother Brothers

I met my friend Cara Jean in Fountain Square for dinner and we saw two wonderful bands, Hello Darling, and Brother Brothers (real-life twins). Both bands were fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment