Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 12, 1914 and April 12, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, April 12, 1914

We had a lovely day today. Paul had his rig all painted and his horse and it looked swell. Was out to his house and we had a dandy time. Took a drive before we came home. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, April 12, 2021

Back to work today - lots of virtual meetings. I did better with my eating, until dinner with friends. Stopped by Nancy's house to pick up Aaron's guitar and got engrossed in the deed - documents dated in 1800s. 


I love this entry. What a lovely day Grandma Nora had! I would love to see a picture of Paul's rig. I haven't found an exact address for where Paul was living in 1914. The 1910 census has 16 year-old Paul living with his mother on Center [?] Road. His father had died the year before and the census showed that he was farming and not in school. 

His 1917 draft card shows his address as R.R.#2, Walton, which covers a lot of territory and could still be his mother's farm. 

In the era of COVID-19 almost all of my meetings take place remotely, via video. I did a lot of sitting today. 

I popped over to Nancy's house to get Aaron's guitar. They are making a lot of progress on organizing the big Victorian house. On a previous visit I found the abstract and deed to the property and was eager to look it over. I sat on the steps and enjoyed reading the old documents. Some had been transcribed in the 1950s from documents dated in the 1800s. 

My favorite document was from when James Morrison owned the property. It stated that a civil engineer had platted the land (roughly 11th and Alabama Streets, Indianapolis) and listed the specifics on April 10, 1954. 

In the second part of the document stated, "I James Morrison proprietor of the above plat of ground do acknowledge the same to be a subdivision made by me and stated by the surveyor thereof James Woods Civil Enginer [sic] and desire it to be recorded, I do not however admit that I am bound by law to record it because it is not the plat of any City town or village nor an addition to either. My motive in having it recorded is to perpetuate the evidence of the subdivision and so satisfy purchaser. 

You can see James Woods' 10 acres by clicking here for the Indiana State Library's map collection and looking in the top right corner of the map. How cool is that? 

I would have loved to meet Mr. Morrison - I bet he was cantankerous. It is eerie to think that I was standing in that spot 167 years, almost to the day of when the survey was done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment