Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 13, 1914 and April 13, 2021

Nora Bauer: Monday, April 13, 1914
Was still warmer today. Went up town. Mamie and I went out to Burrows with Paul to a dance. Went on the interurban got home about 11:00 P.M. Paul's horse almost got away. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, April 13, 2021
Another great day at work, we're working on forecasting and planning on how we can better serve the community. Mowed the front and back yard this evening for the first time this year. 

So much great information in Grandma Nora's post! It explains some of my transportation questions. But first, where the heck is Burrows? It's in Carroll County, the next county over from Cass. Click here to see a 1919 map showing Burrows - it's in Creek Township, shaded in pink, at the top left of the map. You can see where the rail tracks were. 

The interurban lines used to run all through the state. The electric streetcars came to Logansport in 1905 and could take you to almost anywhere in the state. 

I wonder what the excitement of Paul's horse was about? And what was the horse's name? 

Did her sister, Mamie, feel like a third wheel? I hope not! 

Another day of meetings and time at my desk, I enjoy having a project. So much of what I do is keeping the balls in the air. It's fun to do something that has a clear ending. 

I have 1/3 of an acre to mow (roughly 1/4 of the size of a football field). That does't seem especially large until you're walking behind a hand mower. All in all it takes a couple of hours, by the time I move the lawn furniture, trim around the fence line and trees, not to mention to steep pitch of the front yard. 

Mowing is another satisfying project - you can see the fruits of your labor. It also kicks my stupid allergies, uggh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment