Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 24, 1914 and March 24, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Tuesday, March 24, 1914

Had a beautiful day. Was up town again this afternoon. Started to work on my waist this evening. Anna [sister] went to her club. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Off work for Aaron's grandmother's funeral. Late breakfast at Cafe Patachou, a walk through Nancy's house, and a beautiful funeral. A sad lovely day. 

I'm getting the feeling that Grandma Nora didn't work what we think of as traditional work week. And my tongue-in-cheek guess of the word "waist" the other day was spot on. 

Today was a bittersweet day. Aaron's Grandma Nancy's funeral was this afternoon. The service was just right - sweet and joyful, just like Nancy. 

Aaron read a beautiful poem: 

When I am gone, release me – let me go
I have so many things to see and do.
You must not tie yourself to me with tears
Be happy that we had so many years. I gave you love,
you can only guess, how much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love each have shown,
but now it is time I travelled alone.
So grieve awhile for me if grieve you must,
then let your grief be comforted by trust
It is only for a while that we must part
so bless those memories within your heart.
I will not be far away, for life goes on.
so if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you cannot see or touch me, I will be near
And if you listen with your heart, you will hear
All of my love around you, soft and clear.
Then when you must come this way alone,
I will greet you with a smile and “Welcome Home”
- Anonymous

Before the funeral Aaron and I walked through his grandma's house. It was weird to be there without Nancy's joy wafting though the house. 

Aaron let me choose one of his Grandpa Max's paintings - Max was a prolific painter! I'll share it another time....

As always, it's great to see Aaron....I'm just sorry it was such a sad occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment