Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 23, 1914 and March 23, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, March 23, 1914

Went up to the bank this afternoon. Called Helen up this evening and also talked to George. He was afraid that Amy was out to Baumanm's. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, March 23, 2014

Ran home after work to finish the house project. I'm glad that Aaron had a late flight and didn't arrive until 10:00. Pizza for dinner, Red Key after. 


This is not the first time George and Amy have been mentioned. Helen adds to the mystery. Were George and Helen in the same place when Grandma Nora called Helen? Or was it two seperate calls? If they were together, I can't find a link between a George and Helen as siblings or as husband and wife. 

If the Amy in question was Amy McCoulf, George's intuition was right. Amy married Fred Spitznogle, who's brother-in-laws were Baumann's


I'd mostly finished the cleaning before Aaron arrived. He'd ordered pizza to be delivered to my house - it was great to catch up over dinner and continuing the conversation at the Red Key. I gave myself dispensation from my no-booze Lent to toast Grandma Nancy. 

I need to take a daylight photo of my newly arraigned dining room, please ignore my tool box on the floor and two stuffed animals I'd brought from the Farm on the bench. 

Here's a close up of some of the Bauer/Spitznogle furniture I have. I lovingly call this color "Bauer Grey." It's the only paint color I've seen used by that family. The drop-leaf table is pretty primitive and I love it. It's moved with me from college to cross-country. It's the perfect size for the small places I tend to live, but can seat six when the sides are opened up. Mom and Dad used it when they were first married and they got it from Grandpa Paul's basement. 

Rosemary Bauer (Nora's nice and Herman's daughter) gave me the two matching chairs. There are four more and they were used for their kitchen table. Dad's have decorative balls carved on the tops of the sides of his chairs. Great-Uncle Herman cut the balls off the tops of the two chairs that were on the side of the kitchen table that he'd walk near to get to the bathroom - because he'd catch his coverall loops on them when he walked by. Dad has stripped and refinished his four and offered to do the same for mine. His are gorgeous oak, but I love mine just the way they are. 

I purchased the short short chair by the little piano, also painted Bauer Grey, at Uncle Cletus' auction. The legs were clearly cut off at some point. Dad repaired the back rung and offered to paint the whole chair a new color, but again, I love it just as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment