Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 20, 1914 and February 20, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Friday, February 20, 1914

Went to the dance tonight. George was there too. He brought Amy up. Mr. Galloway was not there tonight. He is out of town. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, February 20, 2021

Slept in, read and jogged in place before my shift at the Marigold Clothing Store. Home just in time to work at the Red Key. 

I assume that Grandma Nora was talking about George Spitznogle, Paul's younger brother. I'm not sure who Amy is - George married a woman named Mary in 1937 when he was 42 years old and his bride was 32. I wonder if Paul was at the dance also? 
Could this be the Mr. Galloway that Nora mentioned? Just in case you were wondering - as I was - what the hesitation waltz is, click here

Today almost felt like a pre-pandemic day. I worked both of my part-time jobs. In the olden days (2019) I would typically work one Sunday a month at Marigold, with an occasional extra shift around the holidays. I've worked there all of the 31 years they've been open (except when I lived in New Jersey) and I just love it. The owner, Linda, and I met in college and have continued the friendship. Marigold is very generous to the community, including Second Helpings. My co-workers and the customers are terrific and my shift feels sort-of like one big shopping day. Who doesn't love to be surrounded by fair-trade and locally sourced items, most of which are produced in the US? 

The Red Key was busy - we had to turn people away to comply with the current public health mandates. I'm also the cook, so it was extra dicey. Luckily the customers are understanding and the bartender is a big help. 

Also, happiest of birthdays to my younger brother, J.R.! 


No comments:

Post a Comment