Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 19, 1914 and February 19, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Thursday, February 19, 1914

Mamie [sister] and I went to the Colonial tonight. I think it was real good. Anna [sister] and I were doing some cleaning at the office today. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, February 19, 2021

A much easier walk to the car this morning. Work was as typical as it gets. Met Kim at the Garage for dinner. Mittens stink. 

I was excited to read that Grandma Nora and her sister Anna worked together. I few times Nora has mentioned that "we" went home for dinner - now I know who the "we" was. I hope it will help me figure out where they worked. 

Here is the blurb from the day before's paper about the show that Nora and Mamie saw. 

I have a pretty cool wardrobe - if I may say so myself😏 - working a Marigold Clothing. I've been wearing the same down jacket and dollar store gloves for weeks. Since I was meeting a friend after work, I thought I'd mix it up a little and wear my brighter coat and some cute mittens. Plus with all of the attention Bernie Sanders has brought to mittens, I thought it would be fun. 
Turns out, I'm not a mitten wearer. I ran into some neighbors on the block walk to my car and fumbled around trying to put on my mask and dropped my purse. I had to take them off to unlock the car door and to put the keys in the ignition. I also had to take them off to unlock the door at work and tucked the right hand one in my left hand as I was walking through the garage....and I dropped my lunch bag while doing it. I could hear the glass containers breaking as it hit the concrete. Luckily there were several folks in the area to tease me. At least the glass stayed in the bag. 

I met my long-time friend, Kim, at The Garage Food Hall after work. It's a beautiful place and neat concept, but it was getting crowded by the time we left. I was happy that we could snag a small table to ourselves, otherwise we many have eaten in our cars. We got a mini tour of the art deco Bottleworks Hotel. They did a great job of preserving many of the original tile, floors, and staircases of the 1920s building. 

It was so nice to have something to do after work for a change! And just as exciting, I was able to drive down my street AND pull up the driveway! Woo hoo!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment