Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 22, 1914 and March 22, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, March 22, 1914

Was to 7:30 and 9:00 o'clock Mass. Went out to Baumann's for dinner. Had a real good time. Uncle Val & Aunt Kate [Bauer], Uncle Frank and Nora [Bauer] & the girls & Lena & John [Schnitz] were over this evening. Had lots of fun. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, March 22, 2021

I worked at Second Helpings today - a typical day of meetings and making sure that everyone has what they need to get the job done. Arranged furniture, hung artwork, and cleaned. The pressure is on to finish the project! 
What a fun day Grandma Nora had! 

I'm still in awe of her attending two Masses in one morning. 

I wonder what the Baumann's served for dinner (lunch)? The Baumann's would eventually become distantly related to Nora through her marriage to Paul. Two Spitznogle girls married two Baumann brothers - Nellie S. and John B, Mary S. and Louis B.). 

When researching Nora's paternal uncle, Valentine Bauer, I realized that he would die just two months later - was he feeling poorly at this point? It's fun to know that his wife Catherine was called Kate. 

You may remember that Uncle Frank and Nora are newlyweds. I assume that the girls Nora mentioned were Uncle Frank's (he was a widower when he married) - Loretta, Opal, and Mildred. 

John and Lena Schnitz had a daughter, Teresa, who would eventually marry Nora's little brother, Herman. I love how all of this circles around. 

I chipped away at my home project. Lot's of things that didn't make the cut were packed into tubs and stored in the garage for a yard sale this summer.  

  • One of my favorite decorative items is this ball of twine rescued from Great-Uncle Herman's workshop. Both Dad and Rosemary though I was nuts for wanting it. 
  • My Cousin Leo Spitznogle made me the Nora rock. 
  • The hand-carved globe and box are from my trips to Tanzania to visit my godmother. 
  • The plate has the seal - a frog! - of Boone County, IN (where I grew up) and was a gift from Kassie. 
  • On the right side of the photograph you can see the edge of the Lebanon (Boone County) made Hoosier Cabinet that I was lucky enough to snag last year. 
  • The painting is one of four Douglas David's that I'm lucky enough to own. 
  • The locally-made candle features the coordinates of the neighborhood I live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment