Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

October 29, 1914 and October 29, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, October 29, 1914

Was to singing class tonight. Saw quite a few masked people up town. Esther Gingrich and her little sister were over. We had a good time. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, October 29, 2021

What a fun day - Propylaeum meeting this morning, working lunch out, drinks and dinner at Silo with Schaun after work. I sensibly went home after that. 

First, a correction, thanks to my dear cousin, Lou Stephenson (Lucille's daughter). She reminded me that Charles Kramer wasn't related to Grandma Nora yet, she only would be by marriage. I would love to be able to take a whole wall (not that I have a blank one) and draw out the family tree. 

I wonder if Grandma Nora was a good singer? If so, I sure didn't inherit that trait.  In the era of this pandemic, I think of masking for public safety reasons. I'm thinking that these were Halloween masks. 

Esther Gingrich is the little sister of Carl, who Grandma Nora's older sister Anna would marry on May 19, 1921. I would be born exactly 40 years after that, but I'm sure that wasn't on anyone's mind after singing class at church in 1914. 


I had a delightful day! I was able to sneak out for informal gathering at the Propylaeum in the morning, followed by lunch (square pizza!) with my co-worker Katie. Even though we would talking about masking policies and such, it was nice to be out. 

I took advantage of my Silo membership and had Schaun meet me after work. It was nice to be able to do something, and still get home at a sensible time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment