Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: October 30, 1914 and October 30, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, October 30, 1914

A big bunch of us kids dressed up and went out calling tonight. Was to Furturo [?], Uncle John's, Berryman[?] Pete Dwyer and lots of other places. Most every body guessed me. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, October 30, 2021

Had a nice lazy morning at home. Worked at Marigold, followed by waitressing at the Red Key Tavern. Not too many folks came with costumes, but the ones I saw were excellent. 


I love that Grandma Nora still thought of herself as a kid, even though she was 20 and had been working for years! I wish I knew what she dressed up as. I'm having trouble deciphering some of the names, but I do recognize Pete Dwyer.  

On All Hallows' Eve Russel Settle would always recite Little Orphant Annie at the Red Key. We'd turn down the lights and light a few candles and burn a leaf in an ashtray for effect. I don't know how many poems Russ had memorized, but he could always recite one for any occasion. 


I was thrilled that Red Key regulars Rees and Mary Nell brought a copy of the poem to the tavern. The three of us took turns reading. What a wonderful treat! And they brought me a freshly baked loaf of bread. 

What a great community I live in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment