Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: January 26, 1914 and January 26, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, January 26, 1914

Got my polly centerpiece today. Was working on it tonight. Sent the present away today for Joe Schneider's bride. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Was the late manager at work, so I stayed home until noon, filling yard sale boxes. Key after work.

Oh Grandma Nora, I wish I knew what all of this centerpiece business was about. The polly centerpiece seems like a new one. I did a newspaper search for the words "polly" and "centerpiece" for that era and came up blank. Is Polly a friend? Is there an upcoming party for Polly? Or is Polly an event? Hopefully the mystery will be revealed. 

And how sweet that she made a gift for Joe's bride from Kansas! Who was Joe to Nora? More mysteries. 

Every couple of years I get to bug to rearrange the house and do a little decluttering. I've decided to take apart a huge piece of furniture that I've been using as a china cabinet and see if if I can get away with just using the bottom cabinet piece. As it turns out there are lots of treasures behind those doors. It's hard to use the "have a used it in the last year?" question as a decision point, since I haven't entertained in almost a year. I'm making some progress and am filling tubs for a future yard sale. 

I worked late and popped into the Red Key to drop some stuff off on the way home and wound up having two drinks and chatting with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment