Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: December 30, 1914 and December 30, 2021

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, December 30, 1914

Was pretty cold today. Went to singing class tonight. Was working on my towel when we heard that Uhl's Mill was on fire and we hurried down to see it. It was terrible. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, December 30, 2021

I took today off of work. Aaron and I drove to Louisville to see one of our favorite bands, The Rain Chorus, play for their annual holiday reunion. It was a lovely time. 


From my limited understanding of the geography of Logansport, I think the mill was pretty close to where Grandma Nora and her family lived. Here is a little history of the mill if you're interested: http://incass-inmiami.org/cass/news/mills.html



Again, I'm sad that I didn't get to see any of Nora's fancy work - or at least I didn't know that it was hers. 


Aaron and I made it to Louisville (about two hours away). We had to laugh the hotel was super sketchy - it was a place that most folks rent by the week and the receptionist was also the security guard. We had dinner at a Cracker Barrel - I was delighted to find PEZ ornaments.  

The show was great, although not well-attended. COVID is still raging and people are playing it safe.

Here's a little snippet of their music over the years. 


When we got back to the hotel we met some of the folks that were living there - very nice, but I worry about them and their future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment