Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: November 18, 1914 and November 18, 2021

Nora Bauer: Wednesday, November 18, 1914

Was still very cold today and the river is frozen over. Was to singing class tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, November 18, 2021

Mom's retirement center came for a tour today, Tonic Ball recording tonight - my gig was outside. 

That must have been a cold walk for singing class. Grandma Nora's house was half a mile from the church, crossing the Eel River bridge. Of course that's assuming that the bridge was in the same place and that they actually lived at what is now 525 Helm Street, not 125 Helm like she wrote in her journal. 

It was cold today in Indianapolis also. I was thrilled that some folks from Mom's retirement center, Marquette Senior Living, came for a tour today. 

Tom and Anne were longtime volunteers - they're so sweet!


It was windy in front of the bus! 

The Tonic Ball is officially tomorrow night, but we're pre-recording some of it tonight (shhh!) at the Fountain Square Theater. 
I should explain my involvement in the Tonic Ball and how the event has changed my life. My friends, Ken and Becky Honeywell started the concert in 2001. I attended the first show and was smitten. 

Ken and Becky asked me to join the committee the next year. The early days were so much fun, we were a small group convincing our friends to play and donate money to the cause - Second Helpings. I was chair for a few years and it lead me to Second Helpings. I wouldn't have ever had the courage to apply for a job at Second Helpings without my involvement in the Tonic Ball. 

When I started at SH as the Director of Volunteer Services I was one of nine employees. Now we're 30+ strong and I'm the Senior Director of Programs, which combines my experience, passion, and education. How lucky am I? 

At my post in the alley. The mask is helping me keep warm. 

My gig for the evening is checking the musicians in and making sure that they're vaccinated. It's a little money and very cold. I'll be dressing a little differently tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment