Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: September 24, 1914 and September 24, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, September 24, 1914

Went to singing class tonight. Helen, Clara, Madeline N.  and Gertrude and Marie Rees went to the Ark. Almost forgot to say that I made the best chicken pot pies. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, September 24, 2021

Took the day off and Kassie and I traveled to Batesville. Chicken dinner with Sally in Oldenburg, cemetery exploring, and ribbon cutting for new clock tower in Batesville. Wonderful day! 

It sounds like Grandma Nora is having a nice week off. The girls that went to the theater are all part of the Saint Joesph's School group. I found this penmanship award article listing several of them. 
Here is what the saw at the Ark


Like Grandma Nora, I took a vacation day today also and had a fabulous time. Kassie and I drove to Batesville to check out the progress on her house. 

We picked up Dad's friend, Sally, and took her to lunch at Wagner's Inn in Oldenburg. I forget to get a photo with Sally, but I did manage to get a photograph of our food before we dug in. 


We visited a cemetery on the outskirts of Batesville and found gobs of Bauer's buried there. Grandma Nora's direct relatives are buried in the Saint Peter Cemetery, but I loved seeing the Bauer name all over this cemetery

This baby was born on All Saints Day and died on All Souls Day.
Note the Bauer headstones in the background. 

Johann Jakob Bauer



The town of Batesville is doing a great job adding public art to their charming town. This clock face is the latest project. 

What a great day this was! 


No comments:

Post a Comment