Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 25, 1914 and July 25, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, July 25, 1914
Went out to Burnettsville on the 4 o'clock train to pay the men off on the road. Came back at 6:40. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, July 25, 2021
Went to 10:30 Mass at Saint Joan of Arc, grocery store for balsamic vinegar, lunch with Schaun, nap followed by baking. 
This is an interesting update by Grandma Nora. Burnettsville is 17 miles from Logansport. I wonder if she paid them in cash? I wonder what the project was? I want to hear more! 

I went to 10:30 Mass at Saint Joan of Arc - I served as an EME (Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist).  We have a new priest - he seems great. I'm starting to worry about the rise in COVID-19 cases so I wore a mask to Mass and the grocery store. 

I took a nap when I got home - I feel so much better! 

Tomorrow is cake entry day for the Indiana State Fair. I'm entering a "do-your-own-thing" cake - a roasted balsamic strawberry vanilla bean cake.

The recipe includes six cups of sliced strawberries roasted in balsamic vinegar. 
The baked strawberries are delicious - they would also be great over ice cream or just as-is. 

This very stylish avocado color 1970s blender is the newest appliance in my kitchen....one whole pan of roasted strawberries blended down to about half of a cup. I used the strawberry paste to flavor the frosting. 

I baked the cake layers - the second batch was a charm. 

I misjudged how many quarts of strawberries that I needed. I'll be eating strawberries for days - lucky me! 

I'll get up early tomorrow to start frosting the cake layers. I'm off to watch the Olympics! 

No comments:

Post a Comment