Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: July 23, 1914 and July 23, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, July 29, 1914 

Was very hot today. I think it was about the hottest day we had. Was to singing class this evening. Had a nice little shower. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, July 29, 2021

Worked at Second Helpings today. Grocery store on the way home. The evening was spent transcribing recipes into the State Fair template and making dough. 

Oh my goodness, Grandma Nora - it's hot in 2021 also! I think I should get extra credit for baking in a 1950s Frigidaire by General Motors oven and using a 1948 Crosley Shelvador refrigerator in an un-air conditioned kitchen. 
Best of show ribbon for my 2019 State Fair cake - since there was no Fair last year, I'm claiming the champion title for 2020 also. I'm afraid that streak is over this year. 
My beloved stove. it's as big as a General Motors car! The left side is a warmer/storage, the right side has two small ovens. 

I made snickerdoodle and ginger cookie dough and baked some of each. I wasn't happy with the ginger cookies so I made another batch. After a late-night trip to the store to purchase a loaf pan - how can I not have a loaf pan? - and two attempts at lime quick bread....it was more like brick bread, I decided to throw in the towel on that one. 

I'm so happy that my printer is cooperating - there have been some frustrating years trying to get the recipes printed. 

The kitchen looks like a tornado hit it! At least I was good and tired when I went to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment