Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 21, 1914 and June 21, 2021

Nora Bauer: Sunday, June 21, 1914

Was very warm today. Went to 10 o'clock Mass. Mamie and I went out to Minneman's this afternoon and stayed for supper. Helen had been home but went back at 4:50. 

Nora Spitznogle, Monday, June 21, 2021

It's a little cooler here today, thank goodness. Worked downtown at Second Helpings today, the usual mix of meetings and paperwork. I puttered around the house this evening. Nothing too exciting, really. 


I love all of the stuff that you can dig up from newspapers from that era. People say that we share too much on social media, but in 1914 people shared a lot on print - who was on vacation, addresses, children's names, who went to what dance with whom. 

Grandma Nora has mentioned the Minneman's before. I discovered that they had four girls - Mabel, Helen, Edith, and Gertrude. I'm guessing that some of them lined up with the four Bauer girls (Anna, Mamie, Nora, Gertrude). 

I was a little flummoxed by Nora's comment that Helen had been home, but went back, and she was so precise about the time. Helen was in summer school at Valparaiso (Indiana) so she much have been heading back to school. 

I wish I had something exciting to report about my day, at least is cooled down a bit - 70s vs. 90s!    


No comments:

Post a Comment