Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 20, 1914 and June 20,2021

 Nora Bauer: Saturday, June 20, 1914

Gertrude, Anna and I went uptown this evening. Went to the Ark [Theater]. Saw another Srimins? girl. She knew us too. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, June 20, 2021

Mass this morning. Meet Beth at the Farm this afternoon to celebrate Father's Day with Dad. He was tired. 

How fun that Grandma Nora went uptown with her older and younger sister. I wonder what Mamie was doing? 


Here is what the sisters saw at the theater. I'm at a loss for who they ran into - none of the letter combinations I've come up with spell anything sensible. Any thoughts? 

I went to 10:30 Mass at Saint Joan of Arc, and headed to the Farm after. My sister Beth meet me in the garage to let me know that Dad was having trouble getting out of bed. She had a bed rail thingie that he could use to help sit up and he used the walker from there. 

Beth started laundry and I helped him put fresh sheets on the bed. He was being very bossy about how to make the bed. I refrained from pointing out that I've changed thousands of bed sheets in my day, between chores as a kid, working in nursing homes and hospitals through high school and college, and being an adult. Later it occurred to me that he may have just been reminding himself how to do it. 

Another chore he wanted me to do was clip his toenails - I asked if we could please wait until after dinner. Please. 

Beth had picked up Arni's Pizza - speaking of jobs that I had in college. 

After lunch Dad, Beth, and I talked about the possibility of getting some home healthcare-type person to check on him daily and make sure that he was taking his medications and was dressed and such. I was glad that Dad was agreeable. 

We looked through photo albums - Dad was more interested in looking at more recent ones, but I did get him to identify some older photographs. We ran across this perfect for Father's Day snapshot. 

Grandpa Paul (Nora's husband), Dad, and my brother J.R. - three generations of Spitznogle men. I'm guessing this photo was taken in 1968 since Paul died on February 20, 1969 - on J.R.'s fifth birthday. 

Dad was excited that Annie called him from Phoenix. He loved that J.R. and Beth had taken him for lunch on Friday and that he got to talk to all three girls on Father's Day. 

Nora, Dad, Beth - Father's Day 2021

When I was leaving, Dad had me check on the cat and turn out the lights in his woodshop and in the pole barn. He was on the sidewalk waving good bye and telling me that he loved me- it was a lovely day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment