Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 18, 1914 and June 18, 2021

Nora Bauer: Thursday, June 18, 1914

The circus was in town today. Saw the parade this morning. Was to singing class tonight. Just heard that some burglars got into [?'s] house. 

Nora Spitznogle, Friday, June 18, 2021

I worked downtown at Second Helpings today - the usual mix of paperwork and meetings. I had a perfectly relaxing evening, doing nothing by myself. 

Oh my goodness, Grandma Nora packed a lot into 25 words.

We'll start with the circus! At the time the Hagenback-Wallace Circus was the second largest in the country - and they were based in nearby Peru, Indiana - only about 15 miles. I wonder if this was one of the first stops on the the tour that year? 

I love that they were the "gayest, gladdest, grandest galaxy in all the wide world."  


I sure love a parade, I hope that Grandma Nora enjoyed it too. 

I thought I'd find a juicy story in the papers about the burglary. Nothing! I tried to figure out the name and tried several spellings with no luck. I also searched burglar, burglary, robbery, and break in with no luck. 

I had a lovely evening of doing absolutely nothing and it was grand. 

Annie is doing better and will hopefully be home soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment