Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 9, 1914 and June 9, 2021


 Nora Bauer: Tuesday, June 9, 1914

Was very warm 97 [degrees]. Went up to the school house this afternoon. Did some fancy work this evening and went down to L's after ice cream and saw Minnemans. 


Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Worked downtown today. Met Uncle Phil, cousin Kelly, and Joe and Barb Leffert at Hollyhock Hill for dinner and drinks at Red Key after. I had a gift for Joe. 

I wonder what fancy work Grandma Nora was doing? I assume when she says 'school house' she means St. Joseph's but at this point it was a substantial building. I wonder how Nora and her family dealt with the heat? 

Uncle Philip Gremelspacher invited me to join his daughter Kelly and his friends the Lefferts for dinner. Hearing the name jogged a memory. A cool wooden box that I had sitting between my maternal Grandma and Grandpa's rocking chairs had an engraved plate that read "H.A. Leffert, Logansport Ind." 


Rosemary Bauer gave it to me about 20 years ago and I can't remember the story behind it. I spent some time last night trying to make a connection between the Bauer/Spitznogle/Schnitz families and came up blank. 

Here's Joe with the box and me with my list of Leffert research that I dropped in a puddle. I wish I would have photographed the box with more detail before I gave it away to try to put a date on it. The castors at the bottom are metal, there is a mirror on the inside of the lid. I'm guessing that it was from the early 1990s. 

However old the box is, it's great to get it back to the Leffert family. 

Now I've got to find a place for all of these damn Beanie Babies I had stuffed in there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment