Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: June 8, 1914 and June 8, 2021

Nora Bauer: Monday, June 8, 1914

The Hospital Job at Longcliff was let today and we were the low bidder. Went over to Maiben's again with Herman. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Not too many meetings at work today, I was able to scoot out for lunch at the City Market. Calm evening. 


I'm guessing that Barnes Construction bid to build a building at the Logansport State Hospital, locally known as Longcliff. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out which building it was. I compared maps of the campus trying to figure it out...of course the bid may have been to pave roads or something. 

My maternal Uncle John lived at Longcliff for most of my life. My mom worked there helping with art therapy when she was in college. I have vivid memories of visiting Uncle John when I was young. Most of the memories are fond, but of course for a shy little girl it was a bit scary too. I would save my coins so I could treat patients to sodas from the machines. It wasn't an entirely selfless act - it meant that I could score a Coke also, a big treat in our household. 

I fell into a days-long research project on Longcliff and how mental health treatment has morphed over the years - some for the worse and some for the better. There is now a museum on the campus, and I've added a visit to my list of Cass County things to do. 

Click here and here for two more resources on the history of Longcliff. 

My work day was pretty typical, except that I popped over to the City Market for lunch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment