Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 19, 1914 and May 19, 2021

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, May 19, 1914
Paul called up this afternoon and said he got an invitation to Willy's dance. We were all over to Hooley's tonight to get our hats. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, May 19, 2021
I truly can't believe it. I'm sixty years old today. I had a fun backyard party to celebrate - a lovely mix of family and friends. 
There is a Willy married to a Spitznogle somewhere down the line, and Barbara Willy married my cousin Ben. I wonder when the dance is? There was a ad in the Friday before's paper for a hat sale at Hooley's.

My parents can't believe that I'm sixty...I wonder if Grandma Nora and Grandpa Paul ever imagined having grandchildren that old? And I'm on the younger side of their grandchildren. Only a few of my peers have grandparents that were born in the 1800s. Nora was born in 1894 and Paul in 1893. 

I was wishy-washy about what I wanted to do for my birthday. Due to the current Marion County Health Department mandates you can't have groups of more than six at a table in a restaurant and weather reports were predicting rain so it was hard to plan. I invited my family and a few close friends to come over. Once the threat of rain passed, I invited a few more people for a backyard party. 

It was a perfect evening! Mom and Dad were both there, five of my eight godchildren, longtime friends, and neighbors

Aunt Ann Gremelspacher Lowery (mom's sister), me, Mama Meg Gremelspacher Spitznogle
Papa John Vincent Spitznogle (Nora and Paul's youngest child) and me. 

My friend, Brenda Rising-Moore, had these amazing cookies made, all three of my jobs are represented! 
I'm quite embarrassed, but I was named "Best Human" last year in an Indianapolis Star poll. This is the closest to a trophy or plaque that I received. 

 I have eight godchildren and five of them were in my backyard this evening. Here I am with Mallory (#4)

My dear niece Molly (#6), Katy (#8), Evan (#7), me, Thomas(#5). 
Long-time friend, Jolie, newish-friend, Sarah, me. 
My wonderful sister-in-law, Anna, and Molly. 

College friend and Marigold owner, Linda
Kim, me, Kassie
Aunt Ann, Brother J.R., mama

I can't believe that I didn't get a photograph of my dear sister, Beth, and her lovely hubby, Troy, and many other friends. What a lovely evening it was! 

I don't think that I've missed popping into the Red Key Tavern on my birthday for 25 years - except for last year, when bars and restaurants couldn't be open due to the pandemic, and I stood outside just to say I was there. Anyway, a group of us when to dinner at the Key after the party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment