Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 20, 1914 and May 20, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Wednesday, May 20, 1914

Today was Logansport [Day] today. We did not have to work. A large crowd went up to Culver to christen the Memorial gate. I got dinner today and made a cake. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, May 20, 2021

Worked remotely this morning, starting with an 8:00 A.M. finance committee meeting. Went in later to deliver some dinner boxes to donors. J.R. called and I met him at the Red Key. 

I was so excited when I read the account of Grandma Nora's day - I was going to try to recreate her adventure to Culver. I try not to read ahead, but I few months ago, I flipped to see what Nora was doing on my birthday and of course, read the next day too. 

My grand plans didn't pan out, but it did give me plenty of time to do some research. 

Her employer, James I Barnes, gets credit for bringing the Culver Military Cadets to Logansport to help with the heroic rescue efforts during the devastating flood of 1913. My guess is that Barnes Construction built the gate. 

The city of Logansport literally closed up business that day and by several estimates 4,000 residents swarmed the Academy grounds that day. Extra trains were added and all vehicles were full of people and headed to Culver. 

It's fun to think of Grandma Nora being part of this. 





I learned a lot from this Culver History video - click here to watch the Logansport Gate edition. - James I. Barnes didn't become mayor of Logansport until 1918. David Fickle was mayor at the time. Mr. Barnes ordered and paid for the train that would bring the Culver students to Logansport. 

Read more accounts here: Logansport Gates program and here: Logansport Day at Culver

My day wasn't nearly as exciting...although I had fun with brother J.R. and one of his work mates when I met them at the Red Key. It's also time for the birthday celebrations to dry out - plenty of booze consumed this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment