Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: May 18, 1914 and May 18, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, May 18, 1914

Went to Uncle Val's funeral this morning. Had lovely weather. George H. came over this evening. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Work today, haircut with Sarah S. after, dinner with David M. at Mama Carolla's this evening. 

This must have been a sad day for Grandma Nora, she must have been close to her Uncle Val. - he has been mentioned more so far in her journal than her parents. 

Here's the blurb about the funeral from one of the Logansport papers that day. The Kroeger name is woven throughout our family's history and documents. The funeral home is now owned by the fourth generation of Kroegers. The Kroeger family also produced at least three priests, so they baptized, married, and performed the funerals of most of the Catholics in Logansport. 

I found Valentine's death certificate - his primary cause of death is listed as apoplexy (stroke) and contributing cause of death as acute alcoholism. I would say that a fondness for the drink runs in both sides of my family. Val worked as a bartender - I wonder if that profession encouraged his drinking or if he was attracted to the tavern business because of his alcohol addiction? Having worked in the bar business for the last 39 years, I know the temptation of having a drink or two after work and I know plenty of people who drink while they're working. 

When I was working full time as a waitress I would go out after my shift and have a few drinks to wind down, but I realized that I couldn't do that and be a productive citizen. I maybe have a cocktail once a month or so when I'm restocking the beer, but I'm happy that I haven't fallen into that habit. It's not that I'm a non-drinker, I'm just more intentional now. 

I had a nice last day in my fifties. The lovely Sarah cut my hair - it's been 16 months since I last had my hair colored. It's all natural now. My Bauer/Spitznogle cousins have beautiful silver hair, I don't know why I resisted so long! 

Mama Carolla's is just two blocks from my house and serves delicious food. My long-time friend, David M. treated me to a delicious dinner. It was a lovely evening and the perfect way to spend my last hours in my fifties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment