Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 4, 1914 and Apri 4, 2021

Nora Bauer: Saturday, April 4, 1914
Was up town this morning and went up to the Church this afternoon. 

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, April 4, 2021
Mass this morning. Visited with all of my immediate family today! Flew to Phoenix .


Sometimes describing my day in the same number of words that Grandma Nora used to describe her day is a real challenge! 

The day started out in a panic. I'd worked late at the Red Key and it was after 4:00 A.M. by the time I was showered and in bed. I thought I'd set my alarm for 9:45 and clearly goofed up. I woke up at 10:22 and managed to be sprinting in to the church gym at 10:31. Luckily I live only five minutes from the church. With distancing protocols in place, the Mass was live-streamed into the gym so more people could attend. I was an EME for the gym service - I love participating in the Mass. This morning I walked from the gym to the church and took the concentrated hosts back to the gym for distribution. I'm glad it wasn't raining! 

Back home to pack for my visit to sister Annie -the temperature in Phoenix is in the high 90s! 

Brother J.R. and his family (beautiful wife Anna, and their fabulous children, Molly and John David) invited the family for desserts in their back yard. Mom and Dad and sister Beth and her hubby, Troy were there, as was our cousin Jim and his daughters, Maggie and Monica. A whole gaggle of Grandma Nora's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. 
We also celebrated Dad's upcoming 85th birthday (April 8) 
Not sure why I was staying on one foot...Niece Molly (20), Nora, John David (18)
J.R. and Nora
Cousin Jim Spitznogle
Cousins Maggie, Molly, and Monica Spitznogle

What a joy! The immediate family hadn't been together since Christmas 2019. I did a terrible job of photographing the group - I was too busy soaking in the moment. 

I headed to the airport from there. I like to get there in plenty of time and I'm glad I did. I had no idea how many people travel on Easter - it must able be Spring Break time. My flight was full - I hadn't been that close to that many people since I last flew (October 2019). I'm vaccinated and I was double masked (one was a KN95) and my seat mates were great about keeping their masks on. 


During my restaurant and health care years, I worked as many holidays as not, and always appreciated when a customer acknowledged it. I took some windup toys to pass out along the way. I gave them to the baggage crew, gate crew, and flight crew. They were a big hit, especially with the flight crew. They thanked me over the intercom and had fun racing them - apparently blue always won. 


Tim, my wonderful brother-in-law, picked me up at the airport. The Easter Bunny had left my Easter basket in Phoenix - how fun! It was great to catch up with Ann and Tim with over salads. 





No comments:

Post a Comment