Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 21, 1914 and April 21, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Tuesday, April 21, 1914

Mr. Barnes gave me an auto ride. Started out at 8 A.M. Got back at 2 P.M. Went out 70 mile in all. Was out to Pulaski to see the school to be remodeled. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Wednesdays have several standing meetings and today was no different. I weighed in at WW - I lost 2.5 pounds. It's amazing - pay attention to what you eat and exercise. If only someone would have told me! 

What an exciting day Grandma Nora had! I've been wondering how common automobiles were in her world and now I see that it's uncommon enough to merit an entry in her journal. 

I searched the newspaper archives to see if there was a mention of Mr. Barnes purchasing an automobile, but quickly threw in the towel. The papers were full of automobile ads and the Barnes family is often mentioned - there were over 900 times that "Barnes" and "auto" both appeared somewhere in the paper, in the time frame I was searching. After looking scanning 10 of them, I gave up. 

Nora's 70 mile trip fits right in with the distance to Pulaski and back from Logansport. I found these Pulaski school construction mentions on the school district's historical timeline: 

"The Pulaski Grade School was established in the late 1890s. In the early 1900s, a new building was constructed for this grade school on the site of the present Glenbrook School.

The original Pulaski Grade and High School was on the site presently occupied by the Glenbrook School. The arch that stands on the north side of the present Glenbrook School is the original entrance of that building. The school was built in 1909. "

I wonder if it was the grade school or high school that was being remodeled? 

You may remember that Nora worked as a bookkeeper for Barnes Construction

My day wasn't nearly as exciting. I worked followed by weighing in at Weight Watchers. I'm down! Woo hoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment