Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: April 16, 1914 and April 16, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Thursday, April 16, 1914
Was down to see Aunt Clara. I think that Paul and Irma [Erma] are real cute. Aunt Clara doesn't look much older than she did when she went away. 

Nora Spitznogle: Friday, April 16, 2021
It is a sad day in Indianapolis. There was a workplace shooting last night - eight people died, including the gunman, who turned the gun on himself. Absolutely horrifying. 

Grandma Nora's paternal Aunt Clara married Omar Ditzenberger (how's that for a last name?) and they had been living in Burbank, Los Angles, CA. Their two children Erma and Paul were born in California. I haven't figured out when they moved out west, but the kiddos were born in 1908 and 1910, so it had been at least six years since Nora had seen her aunt. By the 1920 census they were living in Philadelphia. They were living in Indianapolis in 1935. 

I looked up their Indianapolis addresses and they were close to where I work. I'll have to drive by and see if the houses are still there. 

I woke up to news of a mass shooting at the FedEx hub in Indianapolis - I was stunned and saddened....and let myself have a good cry. I'm not a crier by nature - sometimes I worry that I'm too cold - but I sobbed thinking of the families of all involved. The whole city is in mourning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment