Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 9, 1914 and March 9, 2021

Nora Bauer: Monday, March 9, 1914
John Kreutzberger died this morning. I was up to the bank this afternoon and bought some lace for my center piece. Saw Lizzie she had been to the dentist.

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, March 9, 2021
I managed to sleep a little later this morning. Unseasonably warm and sunny today. I painted and cleaned and did laundry between naps and trips to the hardware store. 

The centerpiece lives on! My cousin Lou remembers that there are some Bauer relatives in Iowa. I think her theory that Lizzie is a cousin and was visiting family is spot on. Today poor Lizzie got to visit the dentist.  

I've learned that the best way to declutter is to take everything off the shelves and to take a hard look at it before putting it back. My floor is heaped with books and tablecloths and dishware.  I made a delightful discovery in the pile- a childhood book of Grandma Nora's. 


Jolly Comrades is a series of books published in Chicago. There isn't a publishing date, but research show that it was 1900-ish. How cool is that? 

I'm late posting because I ran into a snag when looking for the obituary of John Kreutzberger - I found it on March 9th, but kept getting an error when I went to "clip" the article. Now I can't find it anywhere! I searched many combinations of spellings and the newspapers in surrounding counties. I'm beginning to thing that I dreamed the whole thing! 

As a bonus, I found this mention of John in the December 13, 1913 Logansport Journal Tribune. 
A cake burglary! I'm going to start blaming a thief the next time I eat sweets in the middle of the night. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment