Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 15, 1914 and March 15, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Sunday, March 15, 1914

Had a lovely day today. Mabel & Helen M were in today and we went walking. Paul and I took a drive this evening. Went out south passed [past] McCoulf's. 

Nora Spitznogle: Monday, March 15, 2021

Back to work today. There is nothing like having time off to make you want more! Still chipping away at the piles on the floor. So much left to do. 

I did a quick search of the Logansport 1914 papers for a mention of the three names - Nora, Mabel, and Helen together. Nothing popped up. I do love the thought of Grandma Nora and her friends talking a stroll. 

And even more, I love the thought of Nora and Grandpa Paul taking a drive in the country. I'm curious about whether their drive was in a car or with a horse and buggy. in 1914 only 17 out of 1000 people owned cars. 

I did a quick search of the McCoulf's and found this delightful 1916 piece. Ella, Mary, C.J., and Andrew Donohue are my great-aunts and uncles on my Mom's side! My Grandma Leona would have just been 11 years-old that year, so would be too young for an adult party. Great-Uncle C.J. died just two years later in WWI. I adore the thought of the four of them enjoy a party! 

I had every intention of continuing the house project when I got home...ha! I showered and got lost in one of Grandma Nora's journals that Cousin Chris sent me and a great family history that Cousin Susan sent. I'll share more of that soon, but it shows a long connection of the Bauer and Barnes families doing business together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment