Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 14, 1914 and March 14, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Saturday, March 14, 1914

Was up to the Church this afternoon and went up to the new flats. Anna, Gertrude, [sisters] and I went uptown tonight and got a new waist, Saw Ruth Yeakley today. 30

Nora Spitznogle: Sunday, March 14, 2021

I was at the Red Key until 2:00, plus we lost an hour with Daylight Savings Time. Played online Euchre with Beth, Ann, and Tim. Visited Brenda in the afternoon. 


I'm still trying to solve the flats mystery. I have found that her employer, James I. Barnes, owned flats (apartments) at 516 Market Street. I wonder if that's what Grandma Nora was writing about? 

I need your help deciphering what she purchased - it looks like "waist" to me. I'd love to buy a new waist! 

The early closing time for restaurants has been lifted and I was at work until later than usual and by the time I'd showered it was almost 3:00 when I crawled into bed. It's not my week to attend church (capacity restrictions are still in place) so I was happy to be able to play Euchre with my sisters and brother-in-law. And be able to stay in my pajamas. 

My intention was to tackle the piles of stuff on the floor and finish hanging paintings and such. Spontaneous Sunday won out. Schaun invited me to visit with his sister, Brenda. I stopped to purchase pie for Pi Day at the yummy Pots and Pans Pie shop, just around the corner from my house. 
When we pulled into the condo complex and saw flames shooting out of a building behind Brenda's condo. Although it wasn't clear at first, the fire was actually in the apartments behind the condos. I pounded on the door of the condo directly in front of the fire. I woke a poor woman up, disconnected her central oxygen, got her portable tank, shoes, and inhaler and we hustled to the sidewalk. 

The talented firefighters were able to quell the fire before it jumped to the neighboring buildings. The woman thanked me, but I fear that she'll run the other way if she ever sees me again. 

I calmed my nerves with pie and more pie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment