Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: March 13, 1914 and March 13, 2021

Nora Bauer: Friday, March 13, 1914

Was very nice today. Most of the ice went out today. Was to church tonight. 

Nora Spitznogle: Saturday, March 13, 2021

An errand turned into a trip to the mechanic and unexpected fun. Waitressed this evening. 

I'll bet the whole town of Logansport sighed in relief when the ice floated away after the horrible flood of 1913. 

When I went to Micheal's last night, I noticed a puddle under the car and felt sorry for whoever had parked there before me...clearly something was wrong with their car. Ha! 

I ran out to pick something up from a friend's porch and in the 30 seconds I was out of the car another puddle had formed...and it smelled like gasoline. I was grateful that I'd actually put on shoes instead of wearing my slippers like I'd seriously considered. 

I drove straight to the dealership and it my panic I made a dumb-ass move. I drove on up to the service bay, the garage door opened, and I drove through spewing gas...it didn't occur to me that the engine running would cause the gas to flow even quicker. The service liaison guys were yelling at me to drive all the way through and park outside. They had to sop up the gas with special pads and open all of the doors to air the place out. 

I was so embarrassed I half-way considered abandoning the car, walking to the street, and getting an Uber...or giving a fake name. As I was walking back in to the bay, one of the technicians said, "Nora Spitznogle?" My hope of anonymity was gone. 

The tech said that they wouldn't even look at it until Monday. I was half-way hoping it would disappear before then. 

I called Kassie and she came to my rescue. We had a fun morning/afternoon of getting coffee, watching my new across the street neighbors move in and we poked around my now-vacant other side of my double and went to an estate sale.  We ended up at the local hardware store to see the Gordon Pipers and an Irish step dance team. 

I had just enough time to take a quick nap before my Red Key Tavern shift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment