Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 9, 1914 and February 9, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Monday, February 9, 1914

Was up to the Oxygen Plant this morning. They have a real nice office. Saw Paul [Spitznogle] at noon when we went back from dinner. Was much warmer tonight. Was working on my polly's. 

Nora Spitznogle: Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Took the day off to take Dad for his second vaccination - woo hoo! We puttered around Lebanon afterward. Spent the afternoon looking through photographs and old papers. I'm going to spend the night. 


I wonder why Grandma Nora was visiting the Oxygen Plant? It looks like it was quite the operation. From the article below left, from January 30, 1914, it looks like the plant maybe wasn't opened when she visited. The clipping from the right is from March that year. 





I wonder how long the plant was open? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything. I did a half-ass search of the newspaper archives and found want ads for workers at the plant a few years after it opened, but I didn't follow the trail too far. 

I wonder if Paul was planning his trips to town based on Nora's work schedule. I sure hope so! 

I have spent a good chuck of time trying to figure out what a polly is. I just asked Dad and he said "Google it!" No help at all. 

Speaking of dear papa, he got his second and final COVID-19 vaccination this morning at the Boone County Fairgrounds. I was thrilled for him and it was fun to be in the 4-H building and see Jane, one of our Second Helpings volunteers. 
We stopped for a car wash, some groceries, and to check out the new liquor store in Lebanon - Rocket Liquors. The store is owned by my college boyfriend. I worked at his first store, Bedrock Liquors, in Shadeland (Indiana) about 35 years ago - man, time flies! 

We spent the evening looking through old photographs and papers. So many photographs not marked with the standard: who, what, when, where, and why. Of course I'm guilty of the same thing - I'm cringing thinking of the tubs of photos jammed in my closet. Maybe I'll manage to tackle them this year.
I was thrilled to find this envelope from Great-Grandpa Felix's (Nora's dad) saloon. I knew what corner it was on, but I'm happy for an address - although I'm pretty sure it's an empty lot. The faint writing on the envelop says "flood pictures" - I think. Unfortunately, where were no photographs of the Flood of 1913 in the envelope. I do enjoy the symbol of Bauer frugalness - someone removed the stamp. 

Dad and I are going to Rosemary Bauer's (Nora's niece) funeral tomorrow in Logansport and we'll drive by where Nora was living at the time and the location of the saloon. The funeral will be held in the church that Nora attended. 

Off to sleep in my childhood bedroom! 


No comments:

Post a Comment