Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 10, 1914 and February 10, 2021

Nora Bauer: Tuesday, February 10, 1914

Was up town this afternoon and bought some Valentines. Anna entertained her club this evening. I worked on my centerpiece and got another polly finished. 

Nora Spitznogle: Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Today was Rosemary's funeral in Logansport. Dad and I visited with several cousins. I tried to find the location of Grandma Nora's home in 1914. 

The mystery of what the heck is a polly continues. I asked a few people in Logansport if they knew what a polly is just in case it was a Cass County thing. I wonder who she bought Valentines for? I'm sure Paul as in the list. 

Rosemary Bauer was Grandma Nora's' niece, daughter of her younger brother, Herman. The funeral Mass was lovely, although sparsely attended. I suspect that had to do with both the pandemic and Rosemary's age - not too many of her contemporaries are left. 

Mount Hope Cemetery looked beautiful blanketed in the snow. I was pleased to see that Rosemary is buried close to Grandma Nora. 
Here is Grandma Nora and Paul's gravestone. Rosemary is buried to the right - you can see the edge of the tent where the final prayers were said. I'm wearing Great-Aunt Mamie's (Nora's sister) coat. 
Left to right: LuAnn Stephenson, ?, Marilyn Cahalan, Gerilyn Mee, Emma Thompson, George Stephenson, Eric Thomspon, John Spitznogle (my papa), Andrew Stephenson, Chuck Stephenson, and me - in Aunt Mamie's coat. 

We had lunch with dad's nephews, Chuck and David, great niece Erin, and friend John. Lots of laughter and story telling. 
The northwest corner of Fifth and Market streets, 430 Market Street. 

I wanted to find where Grandma Nora was living in 1914. Between the dark, snow, and an impatient father I couldn't find the spot. I suspect that the streets have been renumbered in the last 105 years. I had better luck finding the corner where Great-Grandpa Felix Bauer (Nora's papa) saloon was located. 
We stopped at cousin Leo and his beautiful wife, Luci's home on our way back to Dad's. I loved seeing their lovely house, filled with family treasures, reclaimed wood, and rescued stain glass windows. Leo's barn/workshop is amazing. I had to drag Dad out - I think that he and Leo could have talked wood for days. 

The drive home was brow-furrowing. I don't enjoy driving and the snow and wind and slick roads were harrowing. By the time we finally made it to Dad's I decided to spend another night - I didn't have it in me to drive another 45 minutes. 

All and all, it was a lovely day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment