Two Noras: 1915 and 2023

My  paternal grandmother, Nora, was a great recorder of daily events. I have her daily notes from 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, 192...

Two Noras: February 4, 1914 and February 4, 2021

 Nora Bauer: Wednesday, February 4, 1914

It is so pretty outside tonight. Just got home from the theatre. Saw "The Winning of Barbara Worth." I thought it was real good although she didn't marry the fellow I thought. 

Nora Spitznogle: Thursday, February 4, 2021

Grandma Nora's niece, Rosemary, died this morning. Left work a little early to run some work errands and do a little shopping at Marigold. Evening consumed with addressing St. Valentine's Day envelopes. 

Here's the answer to what play Grandma Nora saw. I think it's funny how judge-y the reviewer was about the pretext of the play. Although I totally agree that Eugenics was a terrible thing. 

1914 would have been the height of the Eugenics movement in Indiana - as evidenced by the wildly popular Better Babies Contest at the Indiana State Fair. I wonder if Grandma Nora even realized the undertone of the play, or if she just enjoyed the acting and a night at the theatre? 

Rosemary Bauer died this morning. She is the daughter of Nora's younger brother, Herman. She would have been 93 in two weeks. I really enjoyed Rosemary and identify with her a bit. She never married (not that I'm ruling out by any means....), was a bit of a worker bee, and appreciated family connections. I hate that she died during a pandemic. Any other time and I would have been at her bedside saying a proper good bye, instead of calling everyday and asking the hospice team to tell her that I loved her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment